Saturday, May 7, 2011
Harlem Jazz Shrines Festival May 9 to 15 2011
From a media release
HARLEM JAZZ SHRINES FESTIVAL 2011
May 9 to 15, 2011
Three esteemed Harlem cultural organizations – the Apollo Theater, Harlem Stage and Jazzmobile – have joined forces to present the first Harlem Jazz Shrines Festival May 9–15, 2011. Celebrating the unique legacy of jazz in the uptown community, the Festival will bring both established and emerging artists to some of the famed venues where jazz flourished in Harlem: Lenox Lounge, Showman’s Café, the Apollo Theater, Alhambra Ballroom, and Minton’s Playhouse. Other festival events will take place at Harlem Stage Gatehouse, Columbia University and a variety of locations throughout the Harlem area.
Highlights of the Harlem Jazz Shrines Festival include:
• Wycliffe Gordon’s Jazz à la Carte – The Apollo’s variety shows of the 1930’s make a comeback under the direction of Wycliffe Gordon with the Temple University Big Band, featuring vocalists Carla Cook and Nikki Yanofsky, tap savant Savion Glover, sax wunderkind Grace Kelly, Director/Choreographer Ken Roberson, and trombone prodigy Corey Wilcox, among others.
• Fats Waller Dance Party: Small’s Paradise Tribute with Jason Moran & Meshell Ndegeocello – Harlem Stage presents two nights of Waller’s music taken to new heights in a social mixing dance party featuring 2010 MacArthur Genius pianist Jason Moran & dynamic singer/bassist Meshell Ndegeocello.
• Late Night Jam Sessions & Conversations with Legends at Minton’s Playhouse – Jazzmobile re-creates Minton’s legendary “cutting contests” with emerging jazz talents and an all-star house band curated by T.S. Monk with Robert O’Meally leading provocative discussions.
• Geri Allen Quartet Jam Session – During the 1940’s and ‘50’s, the Harlem jazz scene was famous for its after-hours “jam sessions.” Jazz pianist and producer Geri Allen "jams" with her quartet and special guests at the Apollo Music Cafe.
• Blazing Tongues: The Singers & Writers of Lenox Lounge – Harlem Stage, in partnership with Columbia University’s Center for Jazz Studies and Institute for Research in African American Studies, curates two evenings of music and literature.
• Battle of the Big Bands – Jazzmobile produces two nights of big bands featuring the Jimmy Heath Big Band and the Harlem Renaissance Orchestra at the Alhambra Ballroom.
The Apollo Theater, Harlem Stage and Jazzmobile present a week-long festival with performances and events at the Apollo, Harlem Stage Gatehouse, Minton's Playhouse, Lenox Lounge, Showman's Cafe, the Alhambra Ballroom, and at Columbia University's Miller Theatre
May 09 Jam Session at Mintons
May 10 Blazing Tongues at Lenox Lounge
May 10 Showman's Late Night Jazz
May 11 Showman's Late Night Jazz
May 11 Blazing Tongues at Lenox Lounge
May 12 Showman's Late Night Jazz
May 12 Inspired Innovation at Minton's
May 13 Geri Allen Quartet Jam Session
May 13 Jazz a la Carte
May 13 Showman's Late Night Jazz
May 13 Showman's Late Night Jazz
May 13 Swinging at the Alhambra
May 13 The Fats Waller Dance Party
May 13 Friday Night at Minton's
May 14 Jazz a la Carte
May 14 Geri Allen Quartet Jam Session
May 14 Harlem Jazz Shrines Panels
May 14 The Fats Waller Dance Party
May 15 Count Basie's Lounge
May 15 Habana/Harlem at the Gatehouse