Handel’s ravishing pastorale Acis and Galatea launches
Opera Atelier’s 25th Anniversary Season
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Toronto, ON (September 21, 2010) …Opera Atelier will open its 25th Anniversary season with a sumptuous new production of Handel’s pastorale, Acis and Galatea, at Toronto’s Elgin Theatre (189 Yonge Street). Sung in English with English SURTITLES™, performances run October 30, November 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7, 2010 beginning at 7:30 p.m. with the exception of the November 7, Sunday matinee at 3 p.m.
Based on Ovid’s tale of the water nymph Galatea and her doomed love for the Arcadian shepherd Acis, Acis and Galatea is one of Handel’s best loved works, and considered the pinnacle of 18th century pastoral theatre. The opera weaves together a story of startling sensuality and humour blended with moments of heartrending poignancy – all told through some of Handel’s most sublime music for singing and dancing.
Acis and Galatea will be directed by Marshall Pynkoski and choreographed by Jeannette Lajeunesse Zingg, OA’s co-artistic directors. The production is a showcase for the full corps of Artists of Atelier Ballet and Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra and Chamber Choir under the baton of David Fallis. The production will be lit by Kevin Fraser.
Tenor Thomas Macleay, who thrilled Toronto audiences with his performance in last season’s Iphigénie en Tauride, will sing the title role of Acis. Macleay’s recently made his Canadian television debut as Gennaro in Bravo Canada’s “Death at the Opera.” Macleay’s upcoming performances include La Traviata and Otello with Edmonton Opera and Kurt Weill’s Seven Deadly Sins with Alberta Ballet. Canadian soprano Mireille Asselin, will make her main stage debut with OA in the role of Galatea, having previously toured with the company in South Korea. Praised by critics for her “crystalline tone, agile coloratura” and “vivacious stage presence”, Mireille Asselin will be featured at Yale Opera this year in the role of Susanna in Le Nozze di Figaro, and in the title role of Stravinsky’s Le Rossignol.
- Tickets for Acis and Galatea are $33 to $146 and can be purchased by calling TicketMaster at 416-872-5555, on-line at www.ticketmaster.ca or at the Elgin Theatre box office.
- Operatix are $20 and may be purchased by people under the age of 30 with valid I.D. in person at the Elgin Theatre Box Office (subject to availability).
- Group discounts (10 people +) are available by calling 416.703.3767 ext. 22.
- For more information visit www.operaatelier.com or check out our Vox Populi blog at www.operaatelier.com/blog/ .
- Subscriptions for Opera Atelier’s 2010-11 season start at $55 and are on sale now by calling 416-703-3767 ext. 22.
Opera Atelier also gratefully acknowledges the ongoing support of The Canada Council for the Arts, the Ontario Arts Council, the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council, and the Creative Trust.
• Company Photo: Bruce Zinger / Ben Cruchley, Leonie Gagne, Juri Hiraoka, Jeannette Lajeunesse Zingg, Patrick Lavoie, James Leja, Jennifer Nichols, Jack Rennie, Curtis Sullivan and Magda Vasko / Photographed at St. Lawrence Hall
• Photo by Bruce Zinger / Juri Hiraoka and Thomas Macleay / Handel's Acis and Galatea / Photographed at The Soho Metropolitan Hotel