Cuneiform Records: The Albums of 2016
• It is now available to stream or download at a price of YOUR OWN choosing via Cuneiform's Bandcamp page
While 2016 was notable as the nadir of American politics, marked by a level of discourse that dredged the gutter, 2016 was an especially bright year for high-quality music in the genres of both jazz and rock at Cuneiform. To commemorate and celebrate it, Cuneiform Records presents a sampler album, Cuneiform Records: The Albums of 2016.
We invite you to listen to Cuneiform Records: The Albums of 2016 and explore the wide spectrum of music we recently released over the year. Each track by each artist is unique; we invite you to sample all. And then, if you've not already done so, we hope that you'll listen to full albums by the artists who most appeal to you.
This 15 song compilation album, Cuneiform Records: The Albums of 2016, features over 80 minutes of simply great and utterly creative music made by musicians from around the globe; selected from albums that Cuneiform Records released in 2016.
We released a total of 15 albums in 2016, by some of the most highly esteemed musicians on the planet, established icons of avant and contemporary musics like Wadada Leo Smith, Sao Paulo Underground (led by Rob Mazurek), The Claudia Quintet (led by John Hollenbeck), Richard Pinhas w/ Masami Akita (Merzbow) & Yoshida Tatsuya, Thumbscrew (Mary Halvorson/Michael Formanek/Tomas Fujiwara), Rez Abbasi (w/ Junction), Gary Lucas (w/ Fleischerei) – as well as fast-rising-stars like Bent Knee, Empirical, Naima, I.P.A. and Ergo. These artists came from around the world: the USA, the UK (England), Europe (France, Italy, Spain), Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden), Japan, and South America (Brazil). And as usual, Cuneiform’s releases were in a wide range of cutting-edge, progressive styles that emerged from the genres of both jazz (avant-jazz, post-jazz, jazz/rock and fusion, improv, creative music) and rock (post-rock, indie-rock, ambient, soundscapes, avant-progressive, experimental rock/noise). The majority of 2016's releases were jazz-related, and this year, two of our artists appeared prominently on the covers of leading American jazz publicans: DownBeat honored Wadada Leo Smith as a "National Treasure" on its November 2016 cover, and Jazziz celebrated Rez Abbasi on its July 2016 cover. 2016 was also notable for the high calibre of our rock albums; we released music by several top-notch bands who astounded the international rock music press, won new fans worldwide, and packed concerts. Our 2016 rock albums included Bent Knee (Say So), Deus Ex Machina (Devoto) and Richard Pinhas (Process & Reality w/ Masami Akita/Merzbow and Yoshida Tatsuya and Mu w/ Barry Cleveland).
A sampling of the sampler:
CUNEIFORM RECORDS: THE ALBUMS OF 2016 TRACK LISTING
1. São Paulo Underground - Olhaluai [from Cantos Invisíveis] 05:21
2. Richard Pinhas / Tatsuya Yoshida / Masami Akita [Merzbow] - TVJ 33 (Core Track) (excerpt) [from Process and Reality] 05:55
3. Wadada Leo Smith - New Orleans: The National Culture Park USA 1718 (excerpt) [from America’s National Parks] 12:12
4. I.P.A. - Sir William [from I Just Did Say Something] 05:46
5. Ergo - That never came [from 'As subtle as tomorrow'] 05:49
6. The Claudia Quintet - JFK Beagle [from Super Petite] 03:28
7. Bent Knee - Leak Water [from Say So] 04:41
8. Naima - Bye [from Bye] 04:56
9. The Ed Palermo Big Band - Dirty White Bucks [from One Child Left Behind] 04:39
10. Gary Lucas' Fleischerei [featuring Sarah Stiles] - The Broken Record [from Music from Max Fleischer's Cartoons] 03:07
11. Empirical - The Two-Edged Sword [from Connection] 02:32
12. Thumbscrew: Mary Halvorson, Michael Formanek, Tomas Fujiwara - Sampsonian Rhythms [from Convallaria] 04:03
13. Rez Abbasi & Junction - Self-Brewing [from Behind the Vibration] 06:20
14. Richard Pinhas & Barry Cleveland (feat. Michael Manring & Celso Alberti) - Zen/Unzen (excerpt) [from Mu] 08:06
15. Deus Ex Machina - Figli [from Devoto] 06:59
visit us online: