THE RIVERSIDE CHURCH HOSTS ACCOMPLISHED GROUP OF ORGANISTS FOR ITS ANNUAL SUMMER ORGAN SERIES
Tuesdays, July 3 to August 7, 2012
• Concert Series Highlight to Include Live Organ Improvisation Accompaniment to Cecil B. DeMille’s Classic Silent Film King of Kings by Renowned Organist David Briggs
HARLEM (NEW YORK CITY) - Continuing its commitment to provide diverse and culturally rich programs to the community, The Riverside Church is presenting its Annual Summer Organ Series—featuring six concerts throughout the summer—every Tuesday, July 3 to August 7 at 7:00 p.m. in the Nave, 490 Riverside Drive (bet. 120th & 122nd St.), Morningside Heights.
Each concert will feature music performed by talented organists on the Church’s 206-rank Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ, the second largest instrument in New York City, with over 12,000 pipes.
The schedule of performances is as follows:
- July 3 – Christopher Johnson, Director of Music & Organist of The Riverside Church, NYC. Works by Ives, Barber, Paine and Copland
- July 10 – Ulrike Theresia Wegele, Professor of Organ, Univ. of Graz, Austria. Works by Bach, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Zebinger and Aranyi-Aschner
- July 17 – Christopher Creaghan, Assoc. Organist, The Riverside Church Works by Bach, Widor, Schmitt and Hilse
- July 24 – Harry Huff, Minister of Music and Organist, Old South Church, Boston, MA. Works by Bach, Franck, Dupre, Messiaen, Alain, Hampton, Puccini and Mancini
- July 31 – David Briggs, Concert Organist, Ipswich, MA. A special concert of live organ improvisation accompanying the epic 1927 Cecil B. DeMille silent film King of Kings
- August 7 – David Davies, Assistant Organist, Exeter Cathedral, UK. Works by Langlais, Howells, Sowerby and Liszt
• Tickets are available at the door and are $20 for adults and $15 for senior citizens/students.
• For additional information please call 212-870-6721 or visit the website
WHAT: ANNUAL SUMMER ORGAN SERIES
WHEN: TUESDAYS, JULY 3 – AUGUST 7 - 7:00 P.M.
WHERE: THE RIVERSIDE CHURCH, NAVE - 490 RIVERSIDE DRIVE (BET. 120TH & 122ND ST.) MORNINGSIDE HEIGHTS
Directions: To get to The Riverside Church by subway take the 1 to 116th St. and walk to 490 Riverside Drive (bet. 120th & 122nd St.) two blocks west of Broadway.
Post a Comment