Sunday, July 26, 2015
Emerging Music Festival August 21, 2015 5-10pm - Bryant Park stage & Lawn, New York City
Emerging Music Festival
August 21, 2015
5-10pm - Bryant Park stage & Lawn, New York City
Five up-and-coming local bands, food, beer and wine, and lawn games make for a perfect evening.
Bryant Park will be the place to be for music lovers on Friday, August 21 as they present the first-ever Emerging Music Festival on the Bryant Park Stage and Lawn. This promises to be a wonderful summer evening, with great music, delicious food, beer and wine, and lawn activities.
The Emerging Music Festival presents an eclectic array of five rising bands performing soul, indie rock, dream pop, and more. The groups have all been covered on major music outlets, and have entertained audiences at venues throughout the city.
The talented lineup includes:
• Julia Easterlin, a vocalist using loop technology and her one-of-a-kind voice to create music that draws freely from jazz, pop, West African dance, and soul. You may have seen her at Lollapalooza and SXSW.
• Lazyeyes, a three-piece from Brooklyn formed by guitarist and vocalist Jason Abrishami (The Twees), Paul Volpe (Triple Cobra) on bass, and Jeremy Sampson (Eastern Hollows) on drums. Stereogum described the band’s sound as "a muscular, riff-happy brand of guitar-based dream-pop," going on to proclaim, "songs burst with angular hooks and polished melodies."
• Mad Satta, an ultra-tight eight-pie ce outfit that “waves the flag for future-soul, mixing old-school vibes with jazz and modern-day funk" (VIBE). The group is held down by edgy bass lines, a sophisticated mix of guitar, organ, drums and horns, as well as smoky powerful vocals.
• Miracles of Modern Science, a group with a vision for the future of pop music. With violin, cello, mandolin, drums, and a double bass-wielding frontman, MOMS creates “pop that sounds like something new” (Wired). Presented in association with Subculture.
• Plus one more act to be announced.
In the spirit of all successful music festivals, a selection of the city’s finest food vendors will be on hand to offer delicious food, beer, and wine. There will also be a selection of fun, warm-weather activities to participate in, including juggling lessons, hula hooping, tether ball, and photo ops.
The Emerging Music Festival runs from 5pm-10pm on Friday, August 21. Music will be performed on the Bryant Park Stage at the western edge of the Lawn. Blankets and picnics are encouraged but please, no plastic tarps. Though food and beverages will be available for sale, everyone is welcome to bring their own.
Emerging Music Festival is free and open to all ages. No tickets are required. Outside food and drink are welcome. Must be 21+ to purchase beer and wine.